Sharkfin

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bea, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Robert Herndon

Robert Herndon Ambassador of Tone

Wow, Bea....I do not compare to your abilities. I have worked with a local Luthier, who has guided me through fret sawing, body and neck raw cutting and routing. While I am no expert, I could do this for myself with the right equipment.

However, its easier and faster to have the technical work contracted by a firm such as B.Hefner, Musikraft or Warmoth and then complete all the "detail" work here in my little shop.

I enjoyed very much designing my own headstock, the logo and all the patent/copyright process was also very enjoyable. Out of 27 guitars produced, all but three sold - one of those was a gift and the last two are going on Reverb soon.

I feel like I accomplished my goal of combining the Gibson scale with the traditional Stratocaster and Telecaster body shape. I'm satisfied with the venture and I feel like its time to move past this project.

Nothing as unique as what you are doing!!!!

syscokid and bea like this.
  2. Robert Herndon

Wow! Excellent!

3. bea

bea Well-Known Member

But nevertheless, i am far from good enough to be able to consider to sell one of my instruments (... in awareness that most luthier also need to make more instruments than i ever did before the were good enough; it just takes its time...)

Robert Herndon likes this.
  4. bea

bea Well-Known Member

And now indeed a bit on the Sharkfin itself - cover of control cavity:

[​IMG]

And a reduced thickness of the top at the upper horn:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mr Grumpy, Drumoid, jtcnj and 2 others like this.
  5. Robert Herndon

You know, I've actually had very positive feedback on the small finish imperfections that each guitar has when built by hand. I had one where I put a tiny crack in the binding when seating a fret. I disclosed it to the buyer (who didn't see it) and he was intrigued by it.

IMG_20180510_19661.jpg

Im a detail fanatic. My premise is that Setup is King. All my guitars were hand leveled and crowned, full copper/aluminum shielding, accurately intonated and performance ready, and that seemed to be a highly sought after feature.

Every person who has one tells me its the best quality setup they have ever had, and that pleases me to no end. To me, that's the most gratifying part of this project. Every single fret - cut and shaped and polished by hand

I also used the classic cloth wiring, huge CTS pots, Orange Drop or K40Y PIO tone capacitors and Switchcraft jacks/switches - hardly my own ideas, but you see few guitars on the market with this level of attention to detail.

Your guitars are a noted exception!!!

I think your guitars are more than well made enough for sale!!!! You passed me by long ago.

All the best...

Attached Files:

bea likes this.
  6. Robert Herndon

Phenomenal!

7. bea

bea Well-Known Member

Some progress and a lot of workaround on a mistake:

[​IMG]

I decided to fill the gap under the right (main) plate and to accept a small step at the arm bevel. Of course, all surfaces will be flattened with the plane. I also planed the contact surfaces of the plates and the top and bottom surfaces of the slice of wood covering the horn. The bowed contact surface has almost fully been smoothed - i still need to decide to insert a stripe of light wood there. In addition, the gap at the right arm bevel will be filled with contrasting wood (poplar, like the body).

[​IMG]

8. Robert Herndon

9. Drumoid

Drumoid Well-Known Member

I enjoy all the hand tooled work/craftsmanship.

Robert Herndon and bea like this.
  10. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy Ambassador of Comings and Goings

It's coming together; really not sure how it's gonna look in the end, but it's gonna look good.

&, I promise not to mention the WC.

11. bea

bea Well-Known Member

That's always an adventure. For me, too. And i give ideas room to develop.

Robert Herndon and Mr Grumpy like this.
  12. bea

bea Well-Known Member

Purfling at the upper horn and the arm bevel.

[​IMG]

I needed to bend the wood. Because i still lack a real bending iron i had to improvise a bit:

[​IMG]

13. Drumoid

Drumoid Well-Known Member

Looks like the bend took - hey, if it works...

14. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy Ambassador of Comings and Goings

[​IMG]

15. Robert Herndon

First class work all the way!

16. bea

bea Well-Known Member

17. eSGEe

eSGEe Ferengi Ambassador of Trade Administrator