NBD for Goldmember

Discussion in 'The BASSment' started by Goldmember, May 6, 2018.

1. Goldmember

Goldmember Ambassador of Golden Yoo-Hoos

Thanks for the compliments, gents! I'm finding a groovy tone at 10 on neck and 8 on bridge.
    An interesting characteristic on this bass: when both pickups are on equal volume settings,
    there is a slight drop in volume...kinda like what I get with a Fender Jazz. Fret work is shmooth,
    shmoother than a pancake. Gibson did a splendid job on detail with this bass.

Jamming to "Magic Carpet Ride"

2. eSGEe

eSGEe Ferengi Ambassador of Trade Administrator

WHat amp you running it through GM!?!?!

3. eSGEe

In your honor Sir tonight --- i slide back (really no frets---this thing is SLICK!) to 1962...... BOOM ON Brother!
    EB-OH!.jpg

4. Goldmember

Fender Bassman TV 10, with nothing but mild compression. :)

5. eSGEe

6. Session 5

Session 5 Ambassador of Strings & Wings

A Cadillac.

7. syscokid

syscokid Ambassador of War & Peace

Mr. Horsepower always adds some good Mojo... :dood:

8. Goldmember

Strung it up with some new short scale Chromes (45-100) a few days ago, and after some stretching, they are sounding oh, so groovy.

d-addario-ecb81s-chromes-bass-guitar-strings-short-scale-regular-light-045-100-11.gif.jpg

Interesting note: the silk almost clears the nut upon installation, but after a few days of stretching, there's just enough space. No problem clearing the Babicz bridge at all.

9. eSGEe

LOVE chromes----
    all my basses have either Chromes....Fender flats or Fender Tapewounds.

10. eSGEe

I take that back the TUNDERBIRD has GHS BOOMER coated strings--- I got em free I am trying them --- they actually sound decent on that big ol Honking Bird

11. Drumoid

Drumoid Well-Known Member

Nice bass - arguably my favorite bass and if I ever get another bass I'd like one of these. I had one when I was a teenager. Was helping a guy with a studio and he worked some deal or another out so I could get it.

12. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy Ambassador of Comings and Goings

[​IMG]

13. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Congratulations GM!

Now I want to hear a complete review. Your remarks above are interesting, but tell
    us more.

Does the Gibson bass balance?

Do the new pickups sustain well?

How many kilos does it weigh?

Can you get brighter bass tones from it as well as the traditional Gibson thump?

If this one is not your first bass, how does the Gibson compare with others you
    have played?

I am a Fender bass guy... imprinted on the J-Bass at an early and impressionable age,
    now a recent convert to the Precision bass. So I'm a fan of the 34 inch scale (86.36 cm)
    ...I have played my music partner Libby's Hofner Bass, which has the short scale also.
    I'm always over reaching myself when I try to play on the short scale. But I'm sure I could
    get used to it, given a lovely instrument like yours.

Robert Herndon, Goldmember and eSGEe like this.
  14. eSGEe

OH it now has WAY MORE HORSEPOWER!

HEy Col. Check it out a P/Mud EB-O
    EBO New.jpg
    Dimarzzio Mudbucker and Schaller "P" bass pups (out of a PEavey Foundation)
    Its got MUD -- its got BOOM-- its GOt POP -- yummy little rocker

15. ChasFred

ChasFred Ambassador of Smooth Operations

I think I am feeling a chubby over that gorgeous hunk of wood . . . .ie

16. eSGEe

feels as good as it looks Chas......like a favorite pair of old blue jeans ;)

17. Goldmember

Goedenmiddag COL Mustard!

I'm happy to update you with more details!
    • Does the Gibson bass balance? Yes! With the body worn at the upper right hip, the neck balances to a horizontal plane.
    • Do the new pickups sustain well? The T-Bird neck PU sustains beautifully, and is, indeed, a high fidelity pickup. By nature of its placement, it will lack some highs, but blending the mini T-bird bridge takes care of that.
    • How many kilos does it weigh? 3.12979 kilos!
    • Can you get brighter bass tones from it as well as the traditional Gibson thump? Yes! This is my preferred tone! Bridge at 10, and neck at 8. Any higher on the neck, and you get some cancelation, with loss of mids (like a Jazz). Of course, you can go bridge 10 and neck 0, and get somewhat of a Rick sound. ;)
    • If this one is not your first bass, how does the Gibson compare with others you
      have played?
      Prior to the SG, I have owned and played my 2014 American Standard P with maple neck, and Ibanez SR300, both with Fender flat wounds. The P, as you know, has a clarity and growl, and the Ibanez spans just about the entire range of tones, from a close P to a close Jazz tone. However, it was the Ibanez that started me thinking about a shorter neck, as well as the "thump." That, along with listening to Steppenwolf and Cream. I'm not a slap player, and my sound doesn't require the clear highs of a P. The SG/EB-3 is amazingly versatile, sauf slapping and popping. The 30.5 neck is a dream: rolled edges and finely finished frets. Unlike my P, I don't have dead spots between the 5-7th fret of the G string! Also, prior to playing the SG, I would almost always run my P and SR300 through the SansAmp. With the SG, I love the tone so much that I'm now using only light compression and the "Splitter" on my Zoom to reduce frequencies below 80hz. This, through the Fender Bassman TV 10, is my perfect sound. :)
      I had the opportunity to play a 1969 EB-3 at GC a few weeks ago. The original neck mud bucker is amazing for the one thing it does: thick, growly bass in a very hot signal. The new SG, as you have read, is much more modern, but still has the deep thud. I can say that the '69 had a nostalgic effect on me, which is hard to resist, but honestly, I wouldn't trade my SG bass for it. ;)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  18. ChasFred

ChasFred Ambassador of Smooth Operations

Excellent review Goldie. Very well done.

19. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Ambassador of Musical Medicine

Very pretty guitar. When the dust settles tell us what you think of the mini humbucker in the rear?
    I have a mini humbucker and I never had a place for it. I was going to stick in my rear but I just can't find the right rear to stick it in. It sounds great and a forever spot has not popped up yet.

Session 5 likes this.
  20. Goldmember

Not my photo, but this is the TV Ten amp:

TV3.jpg

Mr Grumpy likes this.